Tips to Pack Glassware and Fragile Items
Preparing glassware or other fragile items for shipping is a simple, straight-forward procedure. You will need the following supplies:
- A box
- Tape –standard packing tape is fine, though heavier items may require reinforced tape.
- Paper for wrapping. Recycled newspaper is great for this(environment friendly as well) and best of all, free!
- Bubble wrap
- Packaging material – foam peanuts, popcorn(air popped) or puffed corn starch pellets
Some glass items may require slightly different kind of packaging, but the approach remains the same:
- Wrap the item in one layer of paper, then multiple layers of bubble wrap. Secure the wrapping with a piece of tape so that it does not wobble inside.
- Prep your box with a layer of packaging material on the bottom.
- Set the wrapped piece in the box and fill the remaining space tightly with packing material.
- Seal the box and give it a light shake to ensure there is no movement. If movement occurs, open the box and add more packing material. If all is well, use a few strips of tape to ensure a solid seal.
If more protection is desired, employ the two-box packing method: Follow the above steps and place the finished box in a larger box filled packaging material to prevent movement of the inner box.
If you have multiple items, separate boxes are preferable, though not always feasible. If you package multiple items in one box, make sure the heaviest items go in first and that each item is individually wrapped.
Feel free to reach us to get assistance with